Why hire a guide in Istanbul is a common question for tourist. Some of the answers to this question in the Tourist books and Tripadvisor 's forums and Cruise Critic web site 's forum say (No You don't) .
Guide books and sites for Istanbul often say you do not need to hire a guide because all the highlights are located next to each other. While it is true that many of the highlights such as the Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque are in close proximity however a Professional Tourist Guide Service can enhance your visit to these locations and take you to other hidden Gems within the City.
Here are some of the advantages of having a professional guide service:
1. Your professional guide will help navigate you to various locations so you can relax and enjoy your day without having to use maps and wasting time trying to locate various sites.
2. A big advantage is being able to share time with a local person who speaks , writes and reads the language fluently.
3. Your guide will help you find hidden gems within the city including the Spice Markets, Grand Bazaar and beautiful Smaller Mosque throughout the city not found in the tour books.
4. Your guide will recommend excellent restaurants for local food and help you order meals from a locals perspective.
5.Your guide will take you to the best places for shopping and can teach you how to negotiate from a Turkish Perspective on things such as carpets.
6. Your guides knowledge will include historical, cultural and General information about Turkey such as population, minimum wage and appropriate tipping.
7. You can relax and feel safe being escorted by your guide.
8. Your guide will make sure that no one will take advantage of your transactions such as a taxi drive or shopkeeper.
9. Your guide can also assist you during your stay if you should have an issue such as lost passport, robbery or illness by helping you contact your government consulate, police office or Hospital.
As you can see Hiring a professional guide will enhance your knowledge and experience of the city while being able to relax and enjoy the sites