tags: İstiklal Street
Let's explore the most crowded street of Istanbul
Istiklal Street, which is approximately one and a half kilometers long between Tünel Square and Taksim Square, is the most famous street of Istanbul. In the past, vehicles were passing on Istiklal Street. In the 1990s, it was closed to vehicle traffic as part of the pedestrianization project. Historical nostalgic tram services continue on Istiklal Street as transportation. And just like that, thousands of people started to go from one place to another on Istiklal Street. Generally, Istanbulites meet in Taksim Square and then they take the nostalgic tram on Istiklal Street as their guide and enter Istiklal Street.Since there are historical theater and cinema halls on Istiklal Street, men in general ties and suits and elegantly dressed women used to go to such places. Therefore, going to Istiklal Street did not mean wearing casual clothes. But this feature of Istiklal street can be seen today.
The Nostalgic tram, which was built in 1914, is an important transportation line that everyone who comes to Istiklal street takes a photo of.
Hagia Triada church, which means holy trinity in Greek, was built in 1880 with the permission given by Sultan Abdulaziz.With its Gothic style bell towers, everyone entering Istiklal Street can easily see the Hagia Triada church.
Rebul Pharmacy was founded in 1895 by Jean Cesar Reboul on Istiklal Street under the name of Grand Paris Pharmacy. It is the only pharmacy that witnessed the last period of the Ottoman Empire and continues to exist in the place where it was founded until today. But what makes Rebul Pharmacy famous is the colognes with different essences that they have been selling since 1934. Especially Lavender cologne has been in demand by Istanbul men for years.
There are several foreign consulates on Istiklal Street. The building you will see on the right as soon as you enter Istiklal Street is the French Consulate. In this building, which was built in 1898, in addition to consular operations, French courses and French film screenings are also held. Before this building, there was a plague hospital in this place.Right behind the French consulate, there is the Armenian Catholic Surp Hovhan Vosgeperan church. The church of John the Golden Mouth.
İnci Patisserie used to be located on Istiklal Street. It was one of the patisseries that Istanbulites visited the most. But when the rent for the shop on Istiklal Street became too high, İnci Patisserie moved from Istiklal Street to Mis Street. The most important dessert that makes the patisserie famous is the profiterole dessert. If you are a chocolate lover, you should add İnci Patisserie to your travel itinerary.
There are many passages on Istiklal Street. The first passage you will see while walking on Istiklal Street is the Rumelia passage. It was built in 1894 by Ragıp Pasha, one of the ministers of Sultan Abdulhamid II. Ragıp Pasha named the passages he built as Africa, Anatolia (Asia) and Europe (Rumelia) because the Ottoman Empire had lands on three continents.There is a tunnel structure under the Rumelia passage, similar to the cisterns in the Roman period.
It is one of the oldest mosques built in Istanbul. It was built in 1596 by Hüseyin Ağa, one of the lords of Galata Palace. Next to the Aga Mosque is the dated tomb of Davud Agha, one of the lords of the Galata Palace. The mosque, which was destroyed by fire in 1934, was rebuilt.
Another important passage on Istiklal Street is the Emek passage. The structures in this region were destroyed by the great fire that occurred on June 5, 1870. Sultan Abdulaziz's vizier, Abraham Pasha, decided to buy this destroyed area and build a passage here. Architectural works started in 1875 under the direction of architect Alexander Vallury and were completed in 1883. This building was operated as an Entertainment club called Circle D'Orient. Important statesmen of the period, businessmen, bankers, Levantines and rich people from Istanbul were members of this club building. After the First World War, it became an entertainment venue for British commanders. Due to the financial problems experienced by Abraham Pasha, the Ottoman Bank seized the buildings. The halls of the building, which was purchased by Emekli Sandığı in 1958, were used as comedy scenes for Rüya Cinema, Emek Cinema and City Theaters. For this reason, Yeşilçam, the street name next to this building, is the special name of Turkish Cinema.
HAcı Abdullah Restourant
It was built by M. Hacar from Halep in 1885. At the back was the famous Variety Circus Theater (Cirque de Pera). The passage was restored by architect Campanaki in 1904. It has also hosted Beyoğlu Cinema since 1989.A corner of the Aleppo passage belonged to a Greek family with the surname Şişmanoğlu. Since this family left this building to the Greek state, it is currently used as the Greek consulate general building.
There is the Turkish Cinema Museum inside the Atlas Passage. In fact, this building was the mansion of the Köceoglu Family, the rich Armenian Family of the 19th century. Agop Koceyan, who was a very close friend of Sultan Abdülaziz, hosted his friend Sultan Abdülaziz in this mansion that he had built. For this reason, great importance was given to the decorations of this building. The section that is entered as a passage today was the stable section of this mansion. Later, this stable section was converted into a horse acrobat. Before the Koceyan family died, they donated this building to the Vosgepeyan church behind the French consulate. After the first world war, this mansion was used as the British Military Court. After the establishment of the Republic of Turkey, this mansion was used as the Post Office Directorate. Later, this mansion was opened as an entertainment venue called "Moulin Rouge". Later, theater or cinema screening halls were added to the building.
Galatasaray High School
MIsır Apartmanı Egypt Apartment
Saint Antuan Church
Santa Maria Draperis Church
museum of illusion
Hasan Fehmi Özsüt Breakfast
Galatasaray Turkish Bath
50th anniversary Memorial
Fish Market and Nevizadde
Düzyan ailesi darphane binası
Tue, Sep 5, 2023 3:43 PM
Comments (Total 0)